Dear Mortgage Women,
As I sit here recovering from the flu (and I hear many of you are doing the same), I figured now would be a great time to share a few ideas to stay healthy through the holidays.
While this time of year can be a wonderful time for many, it can also be stressful. Cindy Smith, Integrative Wellness Coach and Mortgage Women Magazine contributor, says stress (good or bad) can cause our immune systems to drop. During a time when we’re traveling and getting exposed to more bugs than we want to know, it’s important that we take extra precautions.
Here are a few tips Cindy shared to keep us healthy this season:
- Hand washing: As many as 80 percent of infections are transmitted via contact
- Sleep: Skimping on sleep is as disruptive to the immune system as stress
- Exercise: Exercise can increase the activity of a type of white blood cells that attacks viruses.
- Zinc: Zinc interferes with viruses gaining full access to our cells. Can be helpful if taken at the first sign of a cold or flu.
- Garlic: The antimicrobial properties of garlic, onion, & thyme can fight off certain bacteria & viruses, so enjoy a good pot of spaghetti. Also enjoy some spicy foods. Chili is high in Vitamin C & has decongesting properties.
- Water: Heaters & fireplaces keep us warm, but tend to dehydrate. Without sufficient moisture, immune system cells can’t optimally work.
- Skipping happy hour: Alcohol suppresses the part of the immune system that protects against colds & flu so order a cup of tea instead of a cocktail if you are already feeling a little under the weather.
- Laughter: Certain immune cells are produced by a big belly laugh. Laughter really is the best medicine.
- Massage: Massage helps to promote wellness in the body by lowering stress & helping blood flow.
- Essential oils: Diffusing peppermint or eucalyptus oil helps with congestion, lung function and boosts the immune system.
Hope you all have a healthy and happy holiday season!
Looking for something to get you in the holiday spirit? Consider supporting our “Cause of the Month” – Dress for Success. Here’s what you can do:
Host a donation drive in your office to collect new or nearly-new suits, other business-appropriate apparel, shoes or even accessories like handbags and unused cosmetics or jewelry. Reach out to your local affiliate at http://dressforsuccess.org/affiliate-list/ to learn what the women Dress for Success serves need most right now. The affiliate also can provide information to help you plan and promote an effective campaign.